- After a stressful day, some people retreat to the gym, the great outdoors, or a bar. Me? My zen spot is Target, or any good craft store or retailer with a solid collection of office supplies.
- I’m left handed, but right footed (a downside of my childhood soccer career).
- I used to tell people my dream was to be on Saturday Night Live. The dream eventually faded, but I do a mean impression of Will Ferrell as Harry Caray.
- I LIVE for the details. One of the best gifts I’ve ever gotten was a label maker. Seriously.
I graduated from the University of Montana with two years of professional radio anchoring under my belt. But, I was headed for New York City with an internship at CBS Sunday Morning.
I thought long-form TV, a la 60 Minutes or Sunday Morning, was the place for me. To get to that level, most people head back to a local TV station post-internship. That’s what I did. For almost a year I worked as a producer, reporter and anchor for the ABC affiliate in Kennewick, WA.
Here’s some of that work, plus hosting I did for MontanaPBS…
I was fortunate to land an internship with CBS Sunday Morning during the summer of 2007.
Luckily for me, the show was understaffed and utilized interns in a way that gave me some fantastic hands-on experience.
At the top of this reel, you’ll see one of the Sunday Morning pieces I was able to assistant produce.
Working on that piece not only gave me a behind-the-scenes look at Ellis Island, I also learned valuable research techniques working with archival photos and video.
- 2016 Montana Governor’s Award for Excellence; Graduation Matters Montana team
- 2014 National PRNDI; 1st Place Multimedia Story
- 2014 Regional Edward R. Murrow Award
- 2013 National Edward R. Murrow Award; Best Small-Market Radio Website
- 2013 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Hard News Reporting
- Continuing Coverage
- 2012 Idaho Press Club Awards
- 1st Place Website Special Purpose
- 1st Place Best Web Graphics
- 2nd Best Online News Feature
- 1st Best Multimedia Reporting
- 1st Best Use of Interactivity
- 3rd General News – Radio
- 2012 Regional Edward R. Murrow Award
- Series: Jobless In Idaho
- 2011 Idaho Press Club Awards
- 1st Place Best Use of Website Interactivity
- 1st Place Best Web Graphics
- 1st Place Best Special Purpose Website (StateImpact Idaho)
- 2010 Society of Professional Journalists; Northwest Excellence in Journalism Award 2nd Place Spot News
- Montana Broadcasters Association E.B. Craney Award “Best Noncommercial Radio News Program of 2010”
- 2009 Montana Associated Press Joe Durso Awards
- 1st Place Best Radio Spot News Edited
- 1st Place Best Radio Spot News Live
- Honorable Mention Radio News Writing
- Honorable Mention Radio Spot News Edited
- Montana Broadcasters Association E.B. Craney Award “Best Noncommercial Radio News Program of 2009”
- Broadcast Educators Association award “Best Student Documentary in the Country” for Beyond the Myths: Growing Up in Montana
- Society of Professional Journalists, Mark of Excellence Award for Beyond the Myths: Growing Up in Montana
- Northwest Regional Emmy for Montana Journal “Anatomy of a Campaign”; “UM News”, “Made in Montana”
- Society of Professional Journalists, Mark of Excellence Awards
- 2007: 2nd Place Television News Reporting; 3rd Place Television News Reporting
- 2006: 2nd Place Radio News Reporting; 3rd Place Radio News Reporting